Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Holiday Romances.....

Jamie,Jamie, Jamie!!! That's all I could think when I read the text on my mobile. And the next word that came into my head was ASSHOLE!!!! Some people think of themselves, and other people think of others, and others only of others. But I saw Jamie three weeks ago and he was no longer thinking of himself or others. I saw it in his eyes and I heard it from the few words he spoke.
He tried not to impress and tried not to judge. He was just there in a particular time where he didn't belong... So yesterday he took the easy way out.
And so it goes.
I read the text on a beach in Portugal and it made me wonder about so many things. But I was not sad for Jamie. Or his loved one's. I wondered about the flat Earth and I imagined Jamie gliding over the edge wrapped in a shroud. And his loved one's would just have to suck it up. And so it goes.

I was on holiday and this was my time so I walked a couple of hundred meters to the nearest beach bar where I took a double shot of Scotch and then ordered the cocktail that was named after the bar. Lots of alcohol... named The Seventh Wave. I saw a female hand put the drink down in front of me and looked up to give a thank you smile. But she sat down and said, "Jamie, isn't it"?
"Im sorry?"
"You are called Jamie, no..."?
"No".
"Will you walk with me on the beach"?
"Yes,....... Please."

She led me by the hand onto the soothing warm sands. It's touch beneath my feet put me at ease but then again off guard. It was only now that I took her in. Long brown hair with golden streaks and brown everything else. Apart from the piercing blue eyes! Shit!! Then I knew I was in trouble!
But we walked on for a while, not saying too much and occasionally glancing at each other. She reached for my hand and I didn't flinch. Seemed the most natural thing in the world. But at a certain point she suddenly stood stock still and looked down. I followed her gaze. I saw a very faint glimmer of gold. It was the tiniest of chain links.
"Yours, I beleive..", and she reached down and picked a couple of more chain links up which had a pendant hanging from it. It was a Celtic cross earring with very intricate and unique designs as decoration. Decoration with a message... It was thirty two degrees and I started to shiver. Jamie had a tattoo of exactly the same cross. And there are many variations! Exactly the same.!
She placed it in the palm of my hand and closed my fingers around it. I said nothing as she gazed into my eyes.
We carried on walking hand in hand in the most resting silence. Her voice eased into the silence at a certain point and I think she said.... "He is gone Jamie. He has been expelled and there is only you and me here... Do you understand"?
When I had first looked into her eyes I had only felt wild desire.
But now I understood!!

Bloody holiday romances!!!!

No comments: